Its hard to believe that it has been over a year since we said our I Do’s. If you took a look at my wedding post, you know that I did a number of DIY’s. I know first hand how stressful it can be to not only be on a budget but to take on numerous wedding projects at once. Even though at times it was very overwhelming, I wouldn’t change anything. Take a look below of all the wedding DIY’s we did, hopefully it offers some inspiration for your wedding projects. Hope you enjoy. Also comment below if you had a DIY wedding and what projects you took on. I would love to know.
I created my bouquet, the maid-of-honor bouquet, and all the boutineers. For all the flowers I used a mixture of real and silk, but mostly silk. I knew I did not want all real flowers because of maintenance and logistics. When choosing my flowers I kept two things in mind, my wedding colors and my theme. Because I wanted to have a tropical twist I used Monstera leaves along with Anthrums ( I would have preferred King Proteas but they cost an arm and a leg at my local flower shop) and paired them with traditional wedding flowers. These are the ones that were silk. I basically went to my local Michaels and picked out any flowers that looked the most realistic that were in the white and pink color family. From there I just picked some filler stems I thought would work. I wish I could be more detailed but I literally had no plan and just winged the whole thing. My friends helped me the night before put together the bouquets and boutineers.
This was my favorite project and made me grow to love and appreciate floral arrangements. I purchased ¾’ PVC pipe from Home Depot and spray painted it, copper. Purchasing real copper pipe but it would not have cost twice as much and logistically would not have worked. I was moving to Texas the day after the wedding and it just seemed more cost-effective to use PVC pipe. As for the flowers I stuck with the tropical theme. I purchased all of the flowers from Michaels and Ikea- Monstera leaves, palms, wisterias, hydrangeas, pink dahlias, snapdragons, a variety of ferns, and filler greenery. I then played around with the arrangement until I felt satisfied.
Wedding Programs and Menus
I used a heavyweight cardstock for the wedding programs and created a tropical frame to surround the information. I used a very modern and timeless font and purchased all the illustrations from here. As for the menus I fell in love with the idea of using vellum. I printed the actual menu on heavyweight vellum that I purchased from staples and used the same cardstock from the programs and created a tropical background as the backing. To hold them together I found these cute copper paper clips from Amazon. Printing was easy too. I printed two up for each and simply got them cut at my local staples.
I purchased my card box on sale from Michaels and used adhesive vinyl for the lettering affixed to the front. Unfortunately, the exact terrarium is not available anymore but you can similar ones here and here
Another favorite DIY was my wedding sign. First, I made a trip to Home Depot and picked up a sheet of clear acrylic glass, leaving on the protective backing until the very end. Trust me this is important. Keeping on the protective backing prevented any unwanted scratches. Afterward, I used Photoshop to map out how I would like the sign to look. I played with different fonts and layouts. I ended up using both Futura( the same font used on my programs and menus) and Lost in Wild font. Then I created a document the size of the acrylic sheet with my desired wording and layout and printed it at a local Staples. This was used as a guide when placing the white vinyl letters to the acrylic sheet.
Personalized Agate stones
We used personalized agate stones as place cards and gifts for the guests. At first, we looked into getting each stone individually lettered by a calligrapher but I discovered the letters would rub off easily and It would cost almost four dollars a stone. That’s an additional $180 for 45 guests! Instead, I decided to put my Cricut machine to good use. I purchased each stone from Crystal River Gems and painted the sides copper. Afterward, I used copper adhesive vinyl and placed each name of my guest on the stones. I am so glad I did it this way. It looks way cleaner and I know my guest will be able to keep these for years to come and not have to worry about their name rubbing off. Plus they work perfectly as coasters.
Wedding Favor Stickers
Finally, the wedding favors were mini cinnabons that I placed in small clear gift boxes from here. I used my Cricut one last time to create adhesive vinyl stickers, using sticker paper that I purchased from here.